Historic Houses & Barns

Joseph Webb House

webbpglargeThe 1752 Joseph Webb House, a National Historic Landmark, is one of three beautifully preserved 18th century houses owned by the Museum in the center of Connecticut’s largest historic district. The house served as George Washington’s headquarters in May 1781 and is where the Continental General met with French commander the Comte de Rochambeau to plan the joint military campaign that led to the victory at Yorktown and the end of the American Revolution. It was later owned by famous antiquarian and businessman Wallace Nutting, who commissioned murals in the two front parlors and the hallway.

More about the Joseph Webb House.

Silas Deane House

deane_nhlThe Silas Deane House, circa 1770, was built for America’s Revolutionary War diplomat to France as both his residence and as a power base for his political aspirations.

From 1960-1974 the Colonial Dames worked assiduously on the house’s restoration, and in 1964 the house was declared a National Historic Landmark. When it opened to the public in 1974, it was recognized as one of the most careful and accurate restorations undertaken in the United States.

More about the Silas Deane House.

Isaac Stevens House

exterior1In 1786 leatherworker Isaac Stevens purchased half an acre of land on High (now Main) Street adjacent to the Webb property and in 1788 began constructing his new home, completing it in 1789. Although smaller, the house is a center hall Georgian very similar to the Webb House. Presumably Isaac’s leather business was successful, for he included fine woodwork and paneling in the finish details.

The Colonial Dames restored the Stevens House from 1959-1963, and opened it to the public. The house was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1962 with the establishment of the Old Wethersfield Historic District in 1962.

More about the Isaac Stevens House.

Buttolph-Williams House

exterior1The Buttolph-Williams House, owned by Connecticut Landmarks and managed by the Museum, captures the spirit of Puritan life in New England in the 17th century. Built around 1714, the interiors are furnished with rare 17th and early 18th century antiques assembled by renowned antiques collectors and dealers. The house was also the setting for Elizabeth George Speare’s Newberry Award-winning novel The Witch of Blackbird Pond (1958).

More about the Buttolph-Williams House.

The Webb Barn

Webb BarnThe Webb-Deane-Stevens Museum is the caretaker of another remarkable building besides its houses: the nineteenth-century Webb Barn, located at the rear of the property among a variety of shrubs and ornamental and fruit trees. Between the Webb House and the Barn is the Colonial Revival Garden, with its profusion of flowers and graceful arbors that lead to sweeping lawns and a large stone patio.

Available April through November, the Webb Barn lends itself to private and corporate events and wedding receptions.

More about the Webb Barn and Event Rentals.